Got back pain questions? Our Back Wellness Coaches have answers. Text Us Now at 412.419.2225. It's FREE!

• Text Neck

Lexi | July 28, 2017 - 3:20 PM Neck Pain

Hi, guys. I'm Alexa. You can call me Lexi. I'm really excited about BackerNation to finally be here. I've heard such great things. I have bulging discs in my back and neck. I also have sciatica. Lately, though, I've been dealing with neck and shoulder pain. My chiro keeps telling me it's my posture and from glaring at my iPhone all day. He says to move the device to eye level instead of staring down. Apparently, text neck is a thing more so with the younger generation because we're on our phones like 24.7. Does anyone else deal with this? What do you do? I can't not use my phone but feel like a hunch back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Lexi!

2 Likes
  • ChiefBacker
    July 28, 2017 - 3:33 PM

It's crazy to think how such a small device can mess with you, but the spine is a crazy thing.  Check out this image.  Whether its upper or lower spine when you bend, you put more weight pressure on your spine structure. For every 15 degrees you bend your neck, you are stressing your discs with more and more weight.  Over time this is gonna catch up with you.

203dd32f23e70909fece20b8ac3166ab.jpg

2 Likes
  • scottie
    July 28, 2017 - 3:38 PM

I don't have that problem, but my mom does.  Between the phone and cramped over the computer at work she is constantly complaining about her neck.  She started to use a posture device that connects to your phone.  It took a good 2-3 weeks for her muscles to get used to proper posture affecting both her neck and lower back.  She was stiff for a bit but she is better now that the muscles are working like they should.

You could also hold your phone higher like face height so you don't bend your neck.  And with a bonus you will be working your arms with a form of plyometrics.  LOL!!

1 Like
  • JohnStewart
    July 28, 2017 - 3:55 PM

I'm pretty tall and have the same issues with my laptop. My workstation is not ergonomically friendly at all and sometime my neck SCREAMS after long working sessions.

2 Likes
  • Macey
    October 6, 2017 - 9:03 PM

Hi, Lexi. What a great discussion topic. Another ironic moment here.

BackerNation recently did a guest post for a chronic pain blog on this exact theme of text neck. I thought it may be able to help you. Check it out here and let us know if you have any other issues/ questions. We're always here.

1 Like